A few years back Microsoft tried to turn the smartphone-as-a-PC concept into a reality with their Continuum feature. This year, it is Samsung’s turn. With the launch of their new Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, the company is introducing Samsung DeX. So if you have opted to get the optional DeX station with your Galaxy S8, then keep reading to learn how to connect Samsung Dex and Galaxy S8.
Before you get started with Samsung DeX and Galaxy S8, a word about what Samsung DeX is necessary.
What is Samsung DeX?
If you are not familiar with Microsoft’s Continuum feature, then you would need a little briefing on what is DeX. If you connect your Samsung device to your monitor with the help of a USB to HDMI port, then you will get a full desktop like experience. The Phone is basically substituting as a computer’s CPU. Now all you have to do is connect a wireless keyboard and mouse to your phone, and you have your Desktop setup.
In essence, this is the entire philosophy behind Samsung DeX.
Can I start using Samsung DeX right out of the box?
If you have all the prerequisite hardware requirements, then you can. Otherwise, you will have to buy some optional equipment before starting to use the feature. The first thing you would need is an external display monitor or a TV. A projector can also suffice. Now you have to gather a HDMI cable, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse and the fast charger that comes with Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus, which ever model you are using. A wired keyboard and mouse would also suffice but keeping things wireless can enhance the overall experience. Now all you have to do is follow the steps provided below to start your DeX experience.
NOTE: Do make sure that the Keyboard and Mouse you are buying work with Android Devices.
How to Connect Samsung DeX and Galaxy S8
- Connect your DeX station to your Monitor or Display unit using the HDMI cable.
- Now connect the Fast Charger (the one you got with your Galaxy S8) with the DeX station.
- Now it is time to connect the keyboard and mouse. If you are using wired variants, then simply plug them in the USB ports available on the DeX station. Otherwise, if you are using wireless or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse then you will have to set them with your phone before docking.
- Now slide the top of the DeX station down and then place your Galaxy S8 inside. Make sure it is properly connected to the USB-C port.
- After you have docked your phone, you should notice that your phone’s screen goes blank and then the monitor displays the Samsung DeX logo. This is a good sign and means all went okay.
- The DeX environment will follow the same security options which you have set up with your phone.
Also Check: Samsung DeX Tips and Tricks